Komit can help you get over it!
What is an Odoo Upgrade for a Major Version?
Yearly, Odoo is releasing a new major version, usually around October.
Each new version is coming with overall improvements and new features.
An upgrade is switching to a newer major version of Odoo (e.g., Odoo 16.0 to Odoo 17.0).
An upgrade for a major version consists of 2 main tasks:
- Upgrading the custom source code written for your project (including dependencies which are not part of Odoo source code)
- Upgrading the database
Both tasks represent a significant amount of work and come with a major risk for your business. But maybe it's time for you to get over it!
Why should you upgrade?
For the users
- Faster: each new version is faster than the previous one
- Nicer and easier User Interface
- New and/or Better features
- Bug Fixes from Odoo
- New features
For the Management
Only the 3 latest versions are supported by Odoo, to benefit from security patches from Odoo you need to upgrade
With time, some of the dependencies of Odoo which are not maintained become harder and harder to install which could result in impossible or very long implementation of Disaster Recovery.
Better support from Komit
Komit team is focussed on the latest version of Odoo and is inevitably gradually forgetting about older versions.
When should you do it?
Komit recommend upgrading to the latest version every 3 years. After 5 years, security risks are increasing and it is highly recommended to upgrade.
If you want to keep the application longer than 5 years, maintenance cost of the application will increase.
Upgrade cost varies depending on the situation, the cost is increasing with:
- the number of lines of custom code
- the functional evolutions of the modules which the project depends on
- the number of dependencies to other modules (because all of them need to be checked)
Timing of the upgrade will depend on
- the availability of the migration scripts (from Odoo SA or OpenUpgrade)
- the availability of the non-odoo modules in the target version (example: komit modules or OCA modules)
What are the steps to Upgrade?
Cleanup Technical Debt because you don't want to waste energy source code and data which are obsolete
Document critical flows to test
Freeze the development
Once your current version can be stabilized and that no urgent development are required, we can focus on make your Custom Code work with the newer version of Odoo
Upgrade the Custom Code and Database and Test...
Repeat the database upgrade until all tests are perfect
Within a few hours: we stop your old version, we upgrade the database, we restore the upgraded database to the new environment